by Teh Nutroots | At last, the 21st Century!--at least in Britain. Check out the photo of this bad boy. The Daily Mail reports:
Of course, the 21st Century might move a bit slower than you were probably imagining back when you used to watch The Jetsons. The present version can reach speeds of "up to 50 mph." (Daily Mail) On the other hand: the cars are expected to have a 20 year lifespan.(Daily Mail) But....erm: hydrogen? How does that work? Won't...explosions be a problem?
I guess not:
The highly explosive hydrogen is not burned. Instead, the gas flows over a membrane in a special 'fuel cell' where the chemical reaction produce electricity, which in turn powers the electric motors on the wheels. The only emissions out of the exhausr are pure water - from the hydrogen gas reacting with oxygen to produce H20 - and a little heat. (Daily Mail)
That's probably very reassuring if you're an engineer. I'm curious about what would happen to the hydrogen in a collision with a gasoline-powerd vehicle.
The distribution plans for these cars is interesting.
The 'green' emissions-free two-seater Riversimple Urban Car can't be bought, but can be leased like a company car for £200 a month - about the same as a Volkswagen Polo or Ford Fiesta - but the price includes fuel. (Daily Mail).
RECENT BUCK NAKED POLITICS POSTINGS
- Iran: The Crackdown Continues & Rifts Deepen; a Young Woman, Shot Through the Heart, Becomes a Martyr (with Disturbing Video Footage)
- Bill Maher: New Rules + "Democrats are the New Republicans" (Why Progressives Need a Political Party)
- Bill Maher Interviews Hooman Majd on the Current Situation in Iran
- The Daily Show: Jon Interviews/Debates Mike Huckabee on Abortion (Unedited)
- Daschle Caves in on Public Health Insurance
- Does Olive Garden Need Boycotting?
- TPMtv's The Day in 100 Seconds (June 18, 2009) -- Iran'sTwitter-Driven Revolt
- Iran Clerics Call for Pro-Mousavi Rally; Mousavi Calls for Day of Morning & Protest
- Bush Emerges from His Lair to Criticize Obama's Policies to "Local Business Group" (with Illustrative Video on W's Deep Thoughts)
- Mike Madden: The Same GOPpers Who Wanted to Bomb Iran Now Want to Love Bomb Iran